Please read through the following terms and conditions. These apply to any editing work I agree to undertake.
Project Terms & Conditions
Both parties will agree on the following terms of the project, in writing, before any proofreading or editing work begins.
- A timescale for completion of the project, including an initial date by which the client will supply the project to me (the start date), and a final date by which the project is to be completed and returned to the client (the completion date).
- The medium in which the chosen editing service will be carried out and how the document will be annotated.
- A fee for the project, a quotation for which will be supplied by me after an initial assessment of the project and an estimated timescale for completion.
- The client will bear any costs over and above the quoted fee (eg postage).
- Payment of the fee to be made within 30 days from receipt of an invoice from Jon Turner | Proofreading, or within a mutually agreed period.
- Copyright of any work sent by the client to me belongs to the client at all times. Furthermore, unless any other arrangement between the two parties exists, any content created by me as part of the editing process also belongs to the client once payment has been made.
- Any work sent to me by the client will be treated in strictest confidence. Under no circumstances will it be redistributed to any third party or website without the client’s prior agreement.
The following exceptions apply to the above terms.
- I reserve the right to renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline the work outright, if the project requires significantly more work than had been anticipated from either an initial brief from the client or my initial assessment of a sample of the project. I will, at all times, inform the client of any such development at the earliest opportunity.
- I reserve the right to renegotiate both fee and/or deadline if the client should increase the scale and extent of the job in any way after a fee and deadline have been agreed by both parties.
If the client should wish to cancel the project after the above terms have been agreed by both parties in writing, the following cancellation terms apply.
- If the client wishes to cancel the project before work has begun and cancellation is made less than ten days before work is due to begin (ie the start date agreed between the two parties), I reserve the right to invoice the client for 25% of the agreed fee. No charge will apply if cancellation is made earlier than ten days before the agreed start date.
- If the client wishes to cancel the project after work has begun, I reserve the right to invoice the client for 50% of the agreed fee if the work is under halfway complete (by word count), and 75% of the agreed fee if over halfway complete (by word count).
- In exceptional circumstances (eg illness, accident etc) the client may be obliged to cancel the project. In this eventuality, please contact me at the earliest opportunity in order to discuss the cancellation terms or the possibility of rescheduling the project. If I should have to cancel the project in similar circumstances, I will do my utmost to find an alternative provider of editing services for the client at the earliest opportunity or renegotiate an alternative timescale for completion of the project, whichever the client may prefer.
Although these terms and conditions are my preferred frame of reference for any editing work I undertake, my aim is to be amenable to the client’s requirements at all times. If you have any questions or difficulties concerning any of the points raised above, please contact me with your query and we can discuss the specific requirements of your project.
Please note that, once an initial discussion of your project has taken place, any agreement made in writing to proceed, made with the full knowledge of the above terms and conditions, is subject to the laws of England and Wales.